TikTok has recently been flooded with videos of people using baking soda in alcohol as a hack to mask the taste. But does this hack really work, and is it safe to mix alcohol and baking soda? In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the science behind this trend and explore the potential risks and benefits of using baking soda to mask the taste of alcohol.
The Basics of Baking Soda
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a common household chemical that has a wide variety of uses. It is commonly used as a leavening agent in baking, a cleaning agent, and an antacid. It is also sometimes used as a toothpaste, a deodorant, and a treatment for insect bites.
Assessing the Safety of Mixing Baking Soda and Alcohol
While baking soda is generally considered safe, mixing it with alcohol can potentially be dangerous. Baking soda can cause stomach upset and gas when consumed in large quantities, and when mixed with alcohol, it can also cause an increase in blood pressure. Additionally, baking soda can neutralize the effects of alcohol, potentially making someone feel more drunk than they actually are.
People use baking soda to mask the taste of alcohol for a number of reasons. Some people may find the taste of alcohol to be too strong or overwhelming, while others may be trying to hide the smell or taste of cheap or low-quality alcohol.
The potential risks of consuming baking soda in alcohol
- Stomach upset: Baking soda can cause stomach discomfort, bloating, and gas when consumed in large quantities. This can be intensified when mixed with alcohol, which can also irritate the stomach lining.
- Increase in blood pressure: The reaction between baking soda and alcohol can cause an increase in blood pressure, which can be dangerous for people with hypertension or other cardiovascular issues.
- Electrolyte imbalance: Consuming baking soda in large quantities can lead to an imbalance in electrolytes in the body, which can affect the functioning of the muscles and nerves.
- Masking the effects of alcohol: Baking soda can neutralize the effects of alcohol, potentially making someone feel more drunk than they actually are. This can lead to dangerous situations, such as impaired driving or risky behavior.
- Interference with medication: Mixing baking soda with alcohol can interfere with certain medications, such as blood thinners, and can cause serious side effects.
- Hiding the taste of alcohol: The idea behind using baking soda to mask the taste of alcohol is to hide the taste of cheap or low-quality alcohol, this could lead to the consumption of more than the recommended amount of alcohol.
It’s important to note that consuming alcohol in moderation and never mix it with other chemicals, it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Masking the Taste of Alcohol without Baking Soda
|Use a chaser||Consuming a drink immediately after a shot of alcohol, such as juice, soda, or a sports drink, which can help to mask the taste of the alcohol|
|Add flavors||Adding a small amount of flavor, such as a drop of vanilla extract or a splash of lime juice, can help to mask the taste of alcohol|
|Drink it with a mixer||Mixing alcohol with a mixer such as tonic water, cola, or cranberry juice can also help to mask the taste of alcohol|
|Try different types of alcohol||Experimenting with different types of alcohol, such as wine, beer, or cocktails, can help to find one that suits your taste|
|Use a straw||Drinking through a straw can help to bypass the taste buds on the tongue, which can make the alcohol go down more smoothly|
|Try a different form of consumption||Consuming alcohol in different forms such as in jellies, ice creams or chocolates, this can mask the taste and make it a fun experience|
Baking Soda and Alcohol reaction explained
When baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is mixed with alcohol, it creates a chemical reaction that releases carbon dioxide gas. This can cause the mixture to foam and fizz, similar to the reaction that occurs when baking soda is mixed with vinegar.
When consumed, the baking soda neutralizes the stomach acid thus neutralizing the effect of alcohol, this might lead to someone feeling more drunk than they actually are. Additionally, the reaction between baking soda and alcohol can also cause stomach upset, gas, and an increase in blood pressure.
It’s also worth noting that consuming baking soda in large quantities can lead to an electrolyte imbalance, which can be dangerous. Therefore, it’s not recommended to mix baking soda and alcohol. It’s always good to consume alcohol in moderation and never mix it with other chemicals.
How Else Can You Take A Shot Without Tasting The Alcohol?
If you’re looking for a way to take a shot without tasting the alcohol, there are a few options. You can try taking a shot with a chaser, such as a juice or a soda, or you can try adding a small amount of flavor, such as a drop of vanilla extract or a splash of lime juice.
While TikTok’s baking soda hack may seem like a fun way to mask the taste of alcohol, it is not recommended due to the potential health risks. If you’re looking for a way to take a shot without tasting the alcohol, there are safer alternatives, such as taking a shot with a chaser or adding a small amount of flavor. It is always a good idea to consume alcohol in moderation and never mix it with other chemicals.
I’m Michael Barnes and I love what I do. Every day, I get to work with the land and help create something that is essential for life. But it’s not always easy. Every day brings new challenges or unexpected natural disasters in order to produce what we need every day: meat; fruit, juice, and healthy dairy products!
Leave a Reply